Call for Nominations for the inaugural
2018 ACM SIGARCH/IEEE CS TCCA Outstanding Dissertation Award
Deadline: February 15, 2018
The SIGARCH/TCCA Outstanding Dissertation award recognizes excellent thesis research by doctoral candidates in the field of computer architecture. Dissertations are reviewed for technical depth and significance of the research contribution, potential impact on computer architecture, and quality of presentation. The award carries a monetary value of $1000. The winner receives the monetary award; honorable mentions receive no monetary award. The 2018 inaugural award will be presented at the ISCA awards lunch in Los Angeles on June 5, 2018.
Eligible dissertations must have been successfully defended and deposited in the previous calendar year (2017).
Each nominated dissertation must be on a topic relevant to computer architecture. The determination of whether a thesis is within scope for the award is made by the SIGARCH/TCCA Dissertation Award Committee. A dissertation can be nominated for both the SIGARCH/TCCA Dissertation Award and the ACM Doctoral Dissertation Award.
Nominations for the award must include:
- English language copy of thesis.
- Statement from the advisor limited to 2 pages addressing why the nominee’s dissertation should receive this award. This should address the significance of the dissertation, not simply repeat the information in the abstract. Nomination must come from the advisor; self-nomination is not allowed.
- Three letters of support limited to 2 pages each. Supporting letters should be included from experts in the field who can provide additional insights or evidence of the dissertation’s impact. (The nominator/advisor may not write a letter of support.) The letter should also contain the qualification of the endorser and his/her role with respect to the nominee. If a letter writer is supporting more than one nomination, they may be asked to rank those nominations. At least one letter must come from an expert outside the nominee’s university. Additional letters beyond 3 will not be considered.
- List of publications contributing to thesis.
- Member number for nominee (Nominee must be a SIGARCH or TCCA member).
- Suggested citation if the candidate is selected. This should be a concise statement (maximum of 25 words) describing the key technical contribution for which the candidate merits this award. Note that the final wording for awardees will be at the discretion of the SIGARCH/TCCA Dissertation Award Committee.
Please send nominations (preferably electronically) no later than February 15, 2018 to the chair of the SIGARCH/TCCA Dissertation Award Committee, Lieven Eeckhout at “lieven.eeckhout @ ugent.be”. Nominations must be submitted in English. PDF format is preferred for all materials. Late submissions will not be considered.
+++ Further information